Sunday, March 1, 2009

Snow!

This morning, the Robertsons awoke to a treat: Two inches of snow had fallen overnight and an additional two inches were predicted to fall by noon! Friends and family from Pennsylvania, New Mexico, and Finland just shrugged their shoulders. "So what?" Right? Well, consider that I've been living in Alabama for the past twelve years and I can only remember one other snowfall in the state that was of snowman-building quality and quantity. That is a long time. Also, Little I has never experienced snow in Alabama; one time we saw some flurries, and I tried to get Little I excited about the "snow," but he kept wondering what the fuss was about. There was no difficulty getting Little I excited this time. Snow!?! "I want to touch," he said as we opened the window to grab some. Build a snowman? "Yes! And a pumpkin," he told me driving home from church. What? "Daddy shave snow off car," he explained. This was going to be a lot of fun. We got home and bundled up to build a snowman. Little I was very excited, even after I told him we couldn't build a pumpkin. Making a snowman consisted of me pushing boulders of snow while Little I ran around with some neighborhood kids who were also making snowmen. At one point he tried to throw a snowball at one of the kid's granfathers, but I think he missed. Mom E and Mr. C joined us for a few pictures before we made a break for the warm house. After we had come inside, Little I took a toy baseball and basketball and stacked them to make his own snowman. The beauty of his indoor snowman was the basketball served as his "pumpkin." Unfortunately, as I write this blog entry, the snow that stopped falling at noon has already melted. It has become a sunny March day, and our towering snowman, if not already a watery carrot salad, is certainly a remnant of what he once was. We'll miss you Birmingham blizzard of 2009. We'll anxiously await your return in 2015.

1 comment:

jessica said...

MomE- Hey! I am just now finding your blog (per Amanda's post). glad y'all got to enjoy the snow!