Friday, December 5, 2008

Thanksgiving Recap

To all our family who traveled from accross the country to visit for Thanksgiving, THANK YOU! We had a blast! It was so much fun to see a large portion of the Robertson family together for Thanksgiving. It was nice that my parents and my sister Sharon got to meet Mr. C for the first time. It was really nice that a certain uncle got to meet Mr. C and Little I for the first time. I guess that's what happens when you live over 2,000 miles away... Well, for those of you who missed it, here is the recap: Grandaddy Robertson made the turkey, mashed potatoes, and gravy. Grandma Robertson made a sweet potato casserole. Mom E made cranberry salsa, salad, roasted asparagus, and a ginger pumpkin merengue. Ellie made a dutch apple pie and brought stuffing. The highlight of the meal for me was the gravy. I've never seen such a recipe for gravy. It required chopping various root vegetables into the turkey roaster, cooking the giblets and making a broth from them, chopping up the giblets and continuing to let them simmer, deglazing the carmelized drippings from the turkey with white wine, adding reserved broth from the giblets to the drippings, making a roux from some giblet broth, and then putting everything together for the world's awesomest gravy. No problem. I have to hand it to my dad, he follows recipes to a tee. On the mashed potatoes, he specifically purchased russet potatoes "for texture." Wow, they were even fantastic as leftovers. The other highlight of the meal had to be the ginger pumpkin merengue made by my lovely wife. I can't tell you how it tasted as leftovers because there was none leftover.
Then, we had an early birthday party with family for Little I. I'll let the pictures below speak for themselves. They fairly accurately capture the party. All I have to say that Little I is still talking about his birthday party, describing how he ate cake, jumped high, and shot hoops with Cousin James and Uncle Joe.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

That looks like a really fun place to have a b'day! And the Costco cake is really cute! You can't beat it! Happy b'day, I!

jaclark said...

So fun! Happy Birthday I! Can't believe you are 2!
Man, all that talk about food is making me hungry....